This is the month when it feels as if the year is starting to turn. The days are noticeably ...
This is the month when it feels as if the year is starting to turn. At this time of year the work is primarily about clearing away and composting the remains of the summers harvest.
• Clear old vegetation - remove all dead foliage and old, dying plants.
• Remove plant supports - clear away all bean poles, canes and plant supports
• Cover beds with sheeting - use polythene or weed suppressant membrane to cover beds
• Lift carrots - lift carrots and other root vegetables where possible and store
• Earth up - leeks and celery to keep the stems blanched
• Cover late crops - use cloches to cover and protect any late sown crops
• Harvest fruit - continue picking apples and pears cook or eat any that are damaged straight away, only store perfect fruit, any that are blemished will simply rot and infect the others stored.
Sow or plant in October
Broad beans - sow seeds of early varieties
Cabbages - last chance this year for transplanting spring cabbages. Plant them in ground that has been well firmed and cover with nets
Garlic - plant garlic cloves, as long as they are not in a waterlogged are they will overwinter. the longer they are in the ground, the bigger next years bulbs
Rhubarb - now is the best time to plant new sets or divide and replant old crowns.
Fruit Bushes - plant new, bare root bushes this month, allowing them time through autumn to get their roots down before start of next growing season.